Updating a deaf theme (no within-panel update) should be easy job.
Just upload, renaming folder for transition, and hit refresh.
Blank screen. ?
Nav to /wp-admin. Here is also white screen. And I had no backup!
I made mistake today. I accidentally renamed theme folder without deactivate the current theme first. The upshot? White screen of death. My friend Aqeel is on his way for an appointment for the project, possibly asking for collaboration for the website. And yet I updating the website.
The problem was, I hosted WordPress, naked, on DigitalOcean; with no cpanel, no PhpMyAdmin etc – putting more cream to challenges.
I learnt something. I also learnt there’s no clear way solution were found.
Here’s the way to solve this.
- Check the current_theme values on by accessing your database on wp_options. WordPress has fail-safe mechanism for this – if your current theme has problem, it will fall to another theme for that matter.
- Rename the intended theme as temporary name in wp-content. For example tweentyseventeen_new.
- This way, WordPress should load as it should because fail-safe exceptions are passed.
- If you’re lucky you will see your dashboard. Now change the theme. Fixed.
- If not working, rename plugins folder temporarily to disable all plugins. Repeat step one.
Moral of the story; do not maintain anything without backup.